Tuesday, April 24, 2012

DIY Sew: Knit Pencil Skirt

This past weekend I went to a Reggae festival in Austin, and as I own absolutely nothing that would allow me to fit in with the ultra liberal crowd, I decided I would try to make a skirt for the occasion.


I purchased 1 yard of extremely bright fabric from the fabric fairy $7.99
Then all I needed was some thread, scissors, measuring tape, an old pencil skirt(for tracing purposes) and a sewing machine
To start I laid out my fabric with the right sides touching, then I placed an old pencil skirt over the fabric and traced, I added 5/8ths an inch to the sides for the seam allowance, and two inches to the top for the waistband



After tracing, I cut


Then folded the waistband down 1 1/2 inches on both pieces and sewed

Next I penciled in the darts, drawing two, each 2 inches by 7 inches (on the back piece of the skirt only)



I sewed up the darts with a straight stitch



Next with right sides together, I sewed up both sides of the skirt using 5/8ths inch seam allowance and a zig zag stitch


Last step: I hemmed to my desired length



Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment